Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The first breath

Hmmm, writers block. I am tired, breastfeeding my nearly two-year-old Bella like a new born and wishing for 48 hours in each day so I can do all the mothering, teaching, writing and everything else that I want to achieve in a week. All I can think of is to share a list of all the things I would like to write about in depth if I had the time, energy and inspiration. Perhaps this will be the first step.

1) Why was it that on Sunday morning by the beach in a lovely little hotel cafĂ©, during breakfast, not one of the twenty or so westerners was able to do anything other than scowl and grimace at me as Bella screamed the house down in one of her favourite meal-time tantrums? (Only when she is ill, which she has been for two weeks now, with a stinking cold and cough. Mostly she laughs her way through it but meal times are her favourite time to yell. She refuses to let me sit down... however slowly and sneakily I lower myself to my chair, in a desperate attempt at a quick slurp of tea or bite of toast before my time is up, she will not stand for it.. so I have to instead.) Ok, their peaceful breakfast was disturbed, but the looks of judgment and disapproval were quite frankly uncalled for. It reminded me of going back to Britain, where kids should be mostly seen and not heard, and preferably neither after 7 o’clock at night. If it had been my first time round, with Jemima, I would have gone away feeling like a terrible mother, for their looks insinuated that I was just that. But, it being second time round, I just went away thinking they were terrible fellow humans instead.

2) I spent four days at a very intense yoga workshop in Bangkok two weeks ago, with Bella and a hired babysitter. I was up at 4am meditating on and off until 7 at night for three consecutive days and it was quite amazing. Bella loved the whole adventure and despite my being mostly absent, I loved having time with her alone, taking the plane, walking in the garden, feeding the fish... it reminded me of all the time I had alone with Jemima, sacred space just to get to know one child in their element without anyone interrupting them or influencing them in any way.

3) On this workshop we did a rebirthing meditation that enabled us to relive our first breath. The leader talked about the significance of the quality of the first breath and how it influences the way we view life. E.g. What do you see written here?

www.opportunitiesnowhere.com

Whether you see opportunities nowhere or opportunities now here reflects your outlook on life, and this is partially determined by our first breath according to yogic and other philosophies.

It got me thinking, well crying really. While Bella came into this world without drugs, her eyes wide open and smiling, latching on and breastfeeding within seconds of her birth, Jemima was born stoned on Pethidine and unable to breathe. She was whisked away to a brightly lit table and a suction tube was shoved down her throat. And here I am teaching prenatal yoga and encouraging conscious pregnancy. And it is true that Bella is always happy, easy-going, and generally sees the bright side of everything most days, while Jemima’s glass is half empty much of the time.

Maybe this is just a phase? Jemima was very like Bella at her age after all. But I am struggling at the moment with the fact that while Bella, at 20 months, already says ‘thank you’ spontaneously and uses the sweetest intonations and facial expressions when she asks for things (they make her sound so polite!), Jemima at four and a half still says “I want! Get me this!” and even when the table is laid with all of her favourite things, instead of saying “Yey, peanut butter!” she will ask for whatever she wants in a way which suggests no one was ever going to allow her it. Ok, not all the time, but lately this has been her dominant nature. Her teachers say she is lovely at school still, so perhaps I should give her a break.

Of course it is also possible that she gets it from me, for as a child I was always sulking about being the youngest, seeking attention etc. But I am not like this now (apart from family gatherings where I regress frighteningly quickly). Perhaps it is because she too is fighting some virus? Or adapting to the stifling humidity as we enter the hot season? Even so, it is driving me crazy!

I am being as yogic as I can about it though. I try to resist calling her a spoilt brat and am instead gently brainwashing her with nightly meditations where we sing mantras such as: “I am beautiful! I am bountiful! I am bliss!” and then I add “I am thankful! I am blessed! I am so lucky!” So far I have managed to stop myself from continuing, “I am so lucky not to be a street child, not to be foraging for food on the rubbish dump, not to be sold by my mother into the sex-trade, tra la la la”. It doesn’t fit with the tune anyway. And finally, feeling bad about my day’s resentment and judgment, when I know as her mother I should accept and affirm her, I get her to sing “I am! I am! I am! Just as I am!”, in the hope that it will make up for my maternal failings.

I’ll let you know if I see any progress!

Hey, this worked! Now I feel like getting my book out and editing it and self-publishing it right away!





5 comments:

Kasia said...

What a nice suprise as I opened your blog and there was a new entry. It was like a nice breath of fresh air. I love your honesty -especially about the restaurant:) It is truly amazing how judgemental people can be when it comes to children. Never ceases to amaze me. Have they forgotten how difficult it is at times or perhaps they never had children? Recently, a childless woman said to me "it seems like you find organization to be a challange" when I mentioned to her that I find making meals from scratch on a daily basis a bit of a challenge sometimes. I looked at her and thought - you've never had a 4 year old and a 16 month under your feet when preparing a meal! Anyway,keep up the good work of mothering.

Georgie said...

Love it!! yes it is another universe we inhabit indeed xxx

susan said...

"It is morning here, and I am squeezing in a quick e-mail before I get the kids off to school. I just read your latest blog entry, and I thought I would let you know that Jemima's behaviour sounds a lot like some of Amelia's old behaviours. And you know what? She is the sweetest, most polite little girl these days (most of the time!). Sasha is now asserting his stereotypical "boyness" and pushing all the boundaries, but Amelia is a dream child. It's quite the journey, isn't it? Gotta go - I've been spotted!"

susan said...

"It is morning here, and I am squeezing in a quick e-mail before I get the kids off to school. I just read your latest blog entry, and I thought I would let you know that Jemima's behaviour sounds a lot like some of Amelia's old behaviours. And you know what? She is the sweetest, most polite little girl these days (most of the time!). Sasha is now asserting his stereotypical "boyness" and pushing all the boundaries, but Amelia is a dream child. It's quite the journey, isn't it? Gotta go - I've been spotted!"

Georgie said...

it is two weeks later and I feel I let Jemima down somewhat. Turns out she had worms, fighting a cough and also had thrush. Now she is better and her usual positive self. Instead of looking after her and pampering her I branded her as doomed and negative for life. Oh dear, lessons learned. poor child!