Saturday, May 23, 2009

Colour purple?

Hello! Yes, back safe and sound from adventures in Laos which I will tell you about soon. Just thought I would post while waiting for an internet search to tell me how to make the colour purple.

I know, I know red and blue, of course. Of course! But have you actually tried to make purple from red and blue paint? I am in the middle of painting a mural on Jemima's and Bella's bedroom wall and I am telling you, red and blue simply do not make purple. Certainly not a nice, calm, pretty purple at any rate. Red and blue make brown. Yes they do. Every time. Or worse, they make a wild, angry, dirty purple. Please help.

I am desperate to paint my mermaid's hair before Jemima comes home. She is sitting on a rock at the bottom of the sea brushing her hair. My mermaid, that is, not Jemima. At least I hope not. She has a lot of hair and Jemima wants it purple. My mermaid, not Jemima! Although Jemima also has a lot of hair, but thankfully doesn't want it purple. Yet. As I said, please help. I eagerly await your encouragement and purple tips.

I suppose I could just go out and buy a pot of purple paint ...

3 comments:

Kasia said...

Hope the paint worked out for you. I guess it depends on the quality of the paints - are they acrylics? Did you add white to tone down the purple to a calmer shade? The mural sounds fabulous.

Georgie said...

hello! I went straight back and tried again and started with red and white, made sort of pink and then started to mix blue Much better - but still pink not purple according to Jemima! She is right too, but ah well. Anyway she loves it so far, says she is so lovely she will have to stay awake all night to look at her. Bless her that is all I needed to hear!

Jeanette said...

It does very much depend on the quality of the pigments used. Sounds fab though!